Fix: COD Black Ops 3 Split Screen Not Working
In this comprehensive guide, we dive deep into solving the common problem that many gamers face while trying to enjoy COD Black Ops 3 in split-screen mode. We provide exhaustive steps to troubleshoot and potentially fix this issue on various platforms.
1. Connecting Dual Controllers for Seamless Split Screen Gameplay
Before diving into the split screen mode, ensure that both controllers are connected to your device. This step checks if the split screen option is displayed:
- Turn on both controllers.
- Verify if the device recognizes them.
- Navigate to the in-game multiplayer screen.
- Look for the ‘split screen’ option. If visible, proceed with the second controller. If not, consider restarting your game and device.
2. Refresh: Restart the Gaming Device
A simple manual restart can sometimes work wonders:
- Restart your gaming device, be it a PC or Console.
- This might resolve any temporary system hiccups.
3. Ensure Only One Player is Logged In
This is a crucial step, especially for Xbox users:
- Make sure only the primary player is logged into COD: Black Ops 3.
- Ensure the second controller is powered off.
- Log in using the main account.
- Now, launch the game and activate the second player controller.
- Opt for the desired Xbox profile.
- Verify if the split screen is functioning.
Important: Both players cannot use identical Xbox profiles.
4. Power Cycle: Refresh Your Console’s Memory
A full power cycle can often rectify minor glitches:
- Completely shut down your console.
- Detach the power cable.
- After waiting for about 5 minutes, reconnect the power cable.
- Power up the console and see if the split screen problem persists.
5. Keep the Game Updated
Staying updated is crucial:
- Frequently check for COD Black Ops 3 updates. An outdated version can lead to several issues, including the split screen malfunction.
- Launch Steam > Go to Library.
- Select COD Black Ops 3.
- Follow any prompts to update, if available.
- Navigate to Home screen > Games.
- Highlight COD Black Ops 3.
- Select the “Check for Update” option.
- Navigate to My Games and Apps.
- Choose Manage > Updates.
- If available, update COD Black Ops 3.
6. Verifying the Game File’s Integrity
Ensure game files are intact and not corrupted:
- Launch Steam > Library.
- Right-click on COD Black Ops 3 > Properties > Local Files.
- Click “Verify Integrity of Game Files”.
- Launch Battle.net.
- Select COD Black Ops 3 > Options > Scan and Repair.
7. Reinstall Multiplayer Packs for Optimal Gameplay
Corrupted multiplayer packs can hinder split screen functionality. Consider reinstalling them to rectify this:
- Dashboard > Settings.
- My Apps & Games > Games.
- Manage Game and Add-ons > COD Black Ops 3.
- Unselect all, then choose relevant Multiplayer Packs and uninstall. After, reinstall the missing packs.
- Settings > Storage > Console Storage.
- Games and Apps > Call of Duty: Black Ops 3.
- Access the Manage menu.
- Select and uninstall the Multiplayer Packs. Then, check the game’s functionality.
8. Optimal Steam Controller Settings
Ensure that Steam’s controller settings are correctly adjusted:
- Launch Steam > Big Picture Mode.
- Library > COD Black Ops 3.
- Manage Games > Controller Options.
- Adjust the “Steam Input Per-Game Settings” as required.
9. Update Controller Driver for Seamless Connectivity
Keep your controller driver updated:
- Access Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers.
- Right-click and choose “Update Driver”.
10. Enable Steam’s Controller Configuration
Ensure that the controller configuration is enabled in Steam:
- Launch Steam > Settings.
- Controller > General Controller Configuration.
- Enable the Configuration Support option.
11. Split Screen Mode Activation for Gamepad
Ensure split screen mode is activated:
- Launch the game > Gamepad Settings.
- Go to Controller > Gamepad.
- Check the bottom of the screen to ensure split screen is enabled.
12. Adjust Steam Input
A simple tweak can solve the problem:
- Launch Steam > Library.
- Right-click on COD Black Ops 3 > Properties.
- Go to Controller and disable Steam Input.
13. Use Steam’s Big Picture Mode
For some games, controllers function better in Steam’s Big Picture Mode:
- Launch Steam > View > Big Picture Mode.
- Library > COD Black Ops 3 > Play.
14. Contacting Activision Support: Your Final Resort
If all the above solutions don’t resolve the issue, it’s time to reach out to Activision Support. They’ll guide you through any additional steps or provide information on known issues.